DULUTH, MN. (KBJR) – All of this flooding has caused significant damage to homes and businesses, but if you’re not careful, it can also impact your health.
Mold grows where there is moisture, especially during a flood. It can grow in ceiling tiles, wood, drywall, carpets, etc.
For some people, exposure to mold can cause nasal congestion, sore throat, coughing or wheezing. But asthmatics or people allergic to mold could have much more serious reactions.
When Lisa Auran moved to Rainy Lake more than 20 years ago, she and her husband never thought they would have to boat up their driveway.
“I called my husband after work and asked him if I could drive to the garage and he said ‘No. Call me when you get to the driveway. I have to pick you up in a boat.’ ” Auran said.
But that’s the reality of her and many others lately as they try to stop the rising waters.
When water begins to reside, home and business owners can begin the recovery process, but another threat remains.
Kevin Buck, owner of ServePro, explains that if a building is not properly dried, mold can grow on surfaces within 72 hours.
Buck encourages residents and business owners to seek professional assistance to help with the recovery process, especially since mold can form anywhere.
“Most people don’t think about removing the base trim. Behind the base trim is where mold always grows. It’s a big deal so we remove the base trim. We punch holes in the walls to let the wall cavities breathe, then they dry out. said Goat.
Despite all the damage and loss caused by the flood, experts want to remind the public to be patient.
Copyright 2022 KBJR. All rights reserved.