A horrified mum is warning parents to be careful with their children’s cups – after she made a disturbing discovery while cleaning her baby daughter’s cup from daycare.
TikTok user @danit___ posted a now-viral video of his baby girl’s 360 cup riddled with mould, revealing she drank from the cup “daily” and it led to ongoing health issues.
“GROSS,” the concerned mom wrote on the clip. “[This] explains his persistent and tenacious cough.
The 31-year-old, who has yet to reveal her name or the exact age of her offspring, then showed what the cup – designed for toddlers to drink from either side – looks like when he is clean compared to what his daughter. cup looks like.
His series of viral posts about the fungal incident racked up more than 3 million views on TikTok as of Thursday afternoon.
The user later added in a comment that she didn’t make the video to blame the daycare, but to raise awareness that cups claiming to be “easy to clean” can still contain mold.
“This is not an ‘I’m mad about this’ message,” she wrote. “Just an awareness for others who use them and don’t know either.”
According to the vigilant mum, the excess mold is worth months of old milk and had been there for about six months.
“Her home mugs are properly cleaned,” she later updated her followers, adding that she now has new mugs.
1 in 4 people admit to having found mold while cleaning
Mold can seem like an obvious thing to clean up, however, a new survey of 1,145 Americans released Thursday found that many people are unaware they have mold in their homes, despite the associated health risks.
One in four respondents in the study found mold only when organizing their home, with most finding it in the kitchen. Millennials were the most likely to find mold in their home while cleaning – and Gen Z reported “significantly higher levels of having their own disgusting bedroom”, while “Gen X had the highest percentage raised saying that their children’s rooms were disgusting”.
According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, mold produces allergens and irritants that can also cause people to have asthma attacks.
“In addition, exposure to molds can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold allergic and non-allergic individuals,” the EPA reports. “Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported following mold inhalation.”