Mold remover formula

How to Get Rid of Black Mold – An Expert Guide


If you’ve found black mold in your home, you’ll want to know how to get rid of it fast. This unsightly growth can thrive in a bathroom, kitchen, or basement due to their humid environments, and water leaks can see it developing as well. But wherever you find it, you’ll want to learn how to get rid of black mold fast.

There are actually many species of black mold, but the term is often attributed to the species Stachybotrys chartarum, which is greenish-black in color – lovely we know. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), cleaning up mold, black mold or mildew, is essential because it can cause health problems and symptoms. It is therefore essential to remove it from your home for this reason as well as because it is unsightly.

Here is how to fight against this nuisance according to the experts.

How to get rid of black mold: step by step

Black mold is a problem you need to address if you find it in your home, including when you are cleaning the bathroom.

“Mold can dry out and become inactive, but it does not go away”, explains Marina Vaamonde, founder of House Checkout. “The EPA says you can probably fix small areas yourself. If the moldy and / or damp areas are large, or if the mold is close to HVAC returns, you should consult an EPA-certified professional. ‘

1. Better safe than sorry

When eliminating black mold, know that prevention is the best strategy first. Since mold needs constant humidity to thrive, tackle leaks, condensation and water damage.

“Once a month, or every few months, test all fixtures and drains,” says Jake Romano, professional plumber and director of the California-based company. John the plumber. “Turn off the faucets and look under the sink. Follow the tips below. Do the same for the water supply and appliances.

Also, be sure to clean the gutters, say experts at PuroClean. “Water can enter your home through dirty or damaged gutters, so make sure the gutters are clean and in good repair. “

Also pay attention to the ventilation of the house. “Make sure your HVAC vents aren’t blocked,” advises Luke Hamel, owner of Air conditioning & Heating Hamel. “Installing attic fans, whole house fans, and dehumidifiers can also help. If you’re concerned about preventing mold in the first place, invest in a humidity monitor to make sure humidity levels are low. Knowing when the right conditions are right for mold to develop in your home is the first step in prevention. There are many ways to stop condensation on windows and around other areas of your home.

2. Assess the size of the problem

The solution to removing black mold may be to do it yourself. “Small amounts of mold can be removed by an individual at home, such as in the shower,” advises Michael Rubino, president of All American catering, and author of The Mold Medic.

However, getting rid of black mold may require bringing in a professional. The tricky part about mold is that it can turn into substances deep down, ”says Michael. “For example, if there is mold on a wall, it could grow deep into that wall and into the foundation of the house. Once this mold begins to grow, it also releases spores into the air, increasing the chances that another moldy spot will start elsewhere in the house.

“It’s best to bring in a mold inspector to assess the situation first to determine how serious the mold problem is. Then you can determine if this is a project you can tackle on your own.

3. Treat an area of ​​black mold

If it comes to how to get rid of black mold in a small area, then it is essential to do so safely.

“Make sure you wear appropriate personal protective equipment, including: a minimum of an N95 respirator and eye protection (although a full face respirator is a much better option),” says Tim Swackhammer, president and chief executive officer. direction of Mold doctors.

Thinking of using bleach to get rid of black mold? No. “Use an EPA approved cleaning product (NOT bleach) and a three-step scrub and wipe process to remove mold from the roots as well as any mycotoxins and bacteria that may be present.” , explains Michael Rubino.

Microfiber towels are the best because they are 100 times more likely to pick up particles on these surfaces. The goal here is to remove as many particles as possible.

“Also, thoroughly clean the space several times after removing the mold. The spores and mycotoxins that were released into the air could have reached other surfaces in the room or even other areas of the house. These will need to be removed to stop exposure and ensure that other mold situations do not appear. In a bathroom, this probably includes cleaning a shower and cleaning up the grout.

Can I remove black mold myself?

Get rid of it, but black mold removal depends on the extent of the problem. “Black mold is harmful and will not go away on its own,” say the experts at PuroClean.

“In the worst case, when the mold affected area is larger than about 10 square feet, it is highly recommended that you hire a mold release company. Professionals have specialized equipment and use advanced black mold removal techniques to bring the property back to pre-loss condition. ‘

Is it safe to live in a house with black mold?

It is not healthy to live in a house with black mold. The CDC says: “At this time, no test exists that proves an association between Stachybotrys chartarum and particular health symptoms. People with persistent symptoms should see their doctor. However, if Stachybotrys chartarum or other molds are found in a building, they must be removed.

As to how harmful it is, Tim Swackhammer says, “It’s a question we hear often and it’s a difficult question as the truth is – it varies. Each person has their own level of mold sensitivity and may react differently. Certain groups of people may be particularly susceptible to mold, including the very young and the very old, those with respiratory problems, including asthma, and those with weakened immune systems. Although some people react more badly to mold than others, it is important to note that exposure to black mold (especially chronic exposure) is not “safe” for anyone. “