Mold remover formula

A Proactive Response is Key to Preventing and Eliminating Mold Growth | Article

Following findings at other U.S. Army installations, Picatinny Arsenal management is taking a proactive approach to reporting and responding to any mold growth in living quarters and work areas. Facility managers want service members, family members, and employees to have the means to respond and voice any concerns when something goes wrong.

“The Prevent, Report, Fix Mold campaign is a proactive facility effort to educate and address any mold issues to ensure our team is working in a safe environment,” said Lt. Col. Alexander Burgos, Commanding Officer of the Picatinny Arsenal garrison. “We are always looking for ways to educate the community on what to look for to keep our workforce and our community safe, and this campaign is an example of that.”

Residents of the US Army Garrison Picatinny Arsenal can report excessive mold growth in their home to their maintenance crew. PMQ residents who suspect a mold problem in their residence should call 973-328-2992, select option 2, and place an urgent work order. Residents should then also call the housing office at 973-724-2190.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the best way to keep mold at bay is to be proactive. This includes increasing ventilation, removing moisture, and immediately cleaning up any signs of growth.

There are thousands of species of mold and they can be any color. It is important to note that the color of mold does NOT indicate whether it may be hazardous to your health.

• Most people don’t react to mold. Exposure to mold can irritate the eyes, nose and respiratory tract; and may be associated with allergic reactions, asthma attacks, nasal and sinus complaints, and lung conditions.

• Your health care provider can help you determine if your or your child’s medical condition may be associated with mold exposure, which may require further testing and referral to a specialist.

Mold occurs naturally outdoors and microscopic (seed-like) spores are found everywhere in the air. This can become a problem indoors when there is water damage, prolonged high humidity, or humidity.

Mold spores can enter our homes through the air and on clothing and shoes. Therefore, mold is found almost everywhere and we are exposed to it every day. There are no Environmental Protection Agency or other federal standards regarding exposure to mold or mold spores.

Some common sources of excessive indoor humidity that can lead to mold problems are:

• Flooding from surface waters

• Roof leaks due to damaged or missing roofing materials

• Ice dams or blocked gutters

• Storm rain through window frames,
exterior walls or door assemblies

• Leaking pipes

• Sewer backup or overflow

• Damp basements or crawl spaces

• Condensation on cold surfaces

The key to preventing mold is to control humidity and condensation

• The best defense is to keep a clean and dry house

• Promptly treat any water damage and immediately stop any new incursion of water; clean up larger spills or water ingress in a day

• Make sure your home is well ventilated and always use fans in bathrooms and kitchens

• If possible, keep the humidity in your home below 50%; use an air conditioner or dehumidifier, if needed

• Avoid using carpeting in areas of the home that can become damp, such as kitchens, bathrooms and basements.

If mold is growing in your home, you need to clean the mold and fix the damp problem.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has provided the following tips for cleaning up mold:

Mildew can be removed from hard surfaces with household products, soap and water, or a bleach solution containing no more than one (1) cup of household bleach in one (1 ) gallon of water.

If you use bleach to clean mold

· Never mix bleach with ammonia or other household cleaners. Mixing bleach with ammonia or other cleaning products will produce poisonous gas.

· Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using bleach or any other cleaning product.

· Open windows and doors to bring in fresh air.

· Wear rubber boots, rubber gloves and eye protection when cleaning affected areas.

If the area where the mold was found is greater than 10 feet, post housing residents should contact their community center or firehouse management representative for professional remediation.

What to do if you have health problems

Make an appointment with you or your child’s primary care provider and/or ask if mold could be contributing to current health issues. The provider will ask screening questions and may order additional tests or a referral to a specialist.

If warranted, the supplier may recommend a residential mold assessment.

If you live in post, contact the housing office to report mold issues. If you live off-post, contact your local health department or landlord.

The Army Public Health Center has a web page with useful information about
mold risks, including measurements and links to resources: https://phc.amedd.army.mil/topics/workplacehealth/ih/Pages/Indoor-Air-Quality-Mold.aspx

Various organizations provide resources:

• US Environmental Protection Agency

• Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

• National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health

• US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)