Wise bread choices
Mold is everywhere. It may even be hiding on everyday items that you haven’t even thought of checking out. With continued exposure, you can start to develop breathing problems or allergic reactions.
Where to look for mold
Here’s where mold could be hiding.
Recent mold discoveries in children’s cups and teething toys have caused widespread panic among parents. However, most pediatricians agree that a small the amount of mold exposure is usually good for childrenunless your baby has a mold allergy or immune deficiency. However, your child’s toys should be cleaned regularly so that they don’t build up a significant amount of mold over time. If you notice shadows coming from inside the toy or if the toy smells bad, you should clean it to reduce the risk that you or your child will get sick from exposure to mold.
Children’s toys, dog toys, and bath toys can become moldy. Mold can also grow inside a squeaky toy or any toy with a hole. While a toy is safe for the tub, it is also generally safe for the upper rack of the dishwasher for routine cleanings. For fabric toys, consider running them regularly in the washer and dryer.
To disinfect toys with bleach, fill a covered container with 1 gallon of hot water and 1/4 cup of bleach. Cover and let the toys soak for about an hour. You can also do the same with a mixture of 1 gallon of water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar. If you want to avoid bleach altogether, consider boiling toys in hot water.
In the future, make sure that the toys drip properly so that they don’t fill up with mold. You can also plug the holes with a drop of hot glue to prevent water from getting trapped in them. As a general rule of thumb, if an item is not meant to get wet, do not get it wet. For example, throwing toys that are not intended for the tub in the tub can invite mold into your life.
Some items are more susceptible to mold, such as anything that can hide moisture or food. For butcher block cutting boards and worktopsReader’s Digest suggests dipping a paintbrush in a solution of 1 cup of bleach and 2 liters of water. Rub the area in small circles and wipe dry with a damp cloth. The bleach solution can also be used to clean countertops and plastic tablecloths.
Your garbage can be a breeding ground for mold, so occasionally rinse out the garbage with a garden hose. Use the bleach solution to clean the box.
Plastic bathroom items, such as shower rugs, can become susceptible to mold. To disinfect, soak items in hot water and bleach for about an hour. You may need to scrub the items to remove any sticky mold.
The hot water and bleach solution should work well for bathroom tools, shower caulk, and bathroom tiles. You can even mix the solution in a spray bottle to spray on grout and moldy areas.
Your shower curtain can quickly grow mold, especially if you don’t stretch it out so it can dry properly. Wash your curtain with a load of towels or clean it with hot water, bleach and a small amount of laundry detergent and let it dry.
Make sure to wash your towels and bathroom rugs frequently to prevent them from growing mold. Moisture invites mold, so be sure to let items dry completely. You may also want to scrape your walls and shower doors to speed up the drying process and prevent mildew.
Just as your indoor items are susceptible to mold, your outdoor items (like tablecloths, plastic patio furniture, and gardening tools) can also be susceptible to mold if exposed to it. humidity. Sanitize these items by washing them with the mixture of bleach and water. For garden tools or items susceptible to rust, rub a few drops of tea tree oil on the surface after drying to prevent rusting.
How to get rid of mold
Now that we know where mold is hiding, here are some easy ways to get rid of it.
Mix 1 gallon of hot water with 1/4 cup of bleach for a quick disinfectant spray. No matter what you use the bleach solution on, it’s important to rinse the area thoroughly with hot water afterwards so you don’t expose your home or family to the bleach. Make sure you never mix bleach with ammonia or vinegar. Bleach is the best option if you are dealing with a non-porous surface such as glass or tiles.
Mix 1 cup of white vinegar with 1/4 cup of water. Spray it on the surface of the item, let it dry, rinse and wipe dry.
3. Tea tree oil
Mix 1 cup of tea tree essential oil with 1 cup of hot water or distilled white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray it on the surface of the item, let it sit and wipe off.
4. Hydrogen peroxide
Mix 1/2 cup of hydrogen peroxide with 1 cup of water. Spray it on the surface of the item, let it dry, rinse and wipe dry.
5. Baking soda
Combine 1/4 cup baking soda in a spray bottle of water. Spray moldy surfaces, scrub and rinse. You can even spray the area again and let it dry to prevent further growth. You can also spray this solution on the carpet after vacuuming.
6. Save favorites
Buy quick cleaning solutions that can remove mold and help prevent the re-growth of mold and mildew. Articles like Lysol disinfectant wipes and Tilex Mold & Mildew Remover can get the job done quickly. You might also want to invest in something like the OXO Good Grips Deep Cleaning Brush Set, which can deep clean areas that may harbor mold.
What should you throw away?
Some items are just not worth the money and should be discarded and replaced, for safety reasons. In fact, many professionals recommend throwing away a toy that shows signs of mold growth. If you notice that significant mold is growing inside your child’s toys, or if you are not able to clean them sufficiently yourself, it is best to simply replace them with new toys that will not hold onto them. not the water.
Like this article ? Pin it!